While our Mexican night menu typically consists of tacos, nachos, or taco salad, every once in awhile, I like to pull out this recipe (adapted from my friend, Trista). It is easy to prepare and tastes great (even as a leftover). While I like to make the cream sauce from scratch, you can eliminate this step by using a can of cream of chicken soup. If I do not put beans inside, I like to serve this with a side of beans (either black or refried) and some sweet corn.
Yield: 6-8 enchiladas
Cream Sauce (if not making from scratch, use a can of cream of chicken soup, as mentioned above)
- 2 TBSP butter
- 2 TBSP flour
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 1 c chicken stock (if using homemade, add salt as appropriate, ~1/2 tsp)
- 3/4 c milk
- Dash of black pepper
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1/2 c onion, diced
- 2 TBSP butter
- 2 c cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 small can of green chiles
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained, if desired
-1 c of shredded cheese (a combination of cheddar or pepper jack work well together)
-6-8 flour tortillas
-Garnish such as black olives, fresh cilantro, diced tomato, and taco sauce/salsa
Pre-heat oven to 375F
- To prepare the cream sauce, melt the butter in a small sauce pan over low-heat, add in the garlic, and heat for ~1 minute. Add the flour, whisk together, and heat for ~1-2 minutes (you should see gentle bubbles). Stir in the chicken stock and milk, increase heat to medium, and whisk until smooth and gently bubbling. Stir in the sour cream, season with salt and pepper to taste, remove from heat and set aside.
- To prepare the filling, melt the butter in a skillet over low-heat; add the onion, chili powder, and cumin and cook until onions are translucent (a few minutes). Add the chicken, chiles, beans (if using) and ~1/4 c of the cream sauce. Once heated through, remove from heat.
- To fill the tortillas: Place a few spoonfuls of the filling in the center of each tortilla, fold in the ends, and wrap the tortillas. Place seam-side down in a 9x13 baking dish. Depending on how full you fill each tortilla, you should have 6-8 enchiladas. Once the baking dish is full, pour the remaining cream sauce over the enchiladas. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, take off the foil, and top with the shredded cheese; bake an additional 5 minutes or so, until hot and bubbly.
- Garnish as desired...enjoy!