Recipe from: Jamie Fagan, May 14, 2015
Asparagus is one of our favorite vegetables and NOW is the time to indulge in this spring crop. This dish is flavorful and hearty!
- 1 3/4 cup fresh cut asparagus
- 1 TBSP water
- 8 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 5 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp fresh basil (optional garnish)
1. Preheat oven broiler. Steam the asparagus and water in a skillet for about 3 minutes or until the asparagus is tender-crisp and still bright green. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, salt, and pepper until well blended.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in an oven-proof 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and saute for 1 minute. Stir in spinach and cook, stirring constantly, until the spinach is slightly wilted, about 1 minute.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in steamed asparagus along with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Pour egg mixture into skillet and stir gently to evenly distribute the ingredients. Cook until eggs are almost set, about 8-11 minutes (eggs will be runny on top, but set on sides and bottom).
5. Remove the frittata from the heat, sprinkle evenly with shredded cheese and place the skillet in the oven, about 6-7 inches from the heat source. Broil until the center is firm and cheese is completely melted, about 1-2 minutes. Remove and sprinkle with fresh basil if desired.