As a child, I spent a lot of weekends camping with my family. As many families are trying to savor the last few days (or perhaps weeks) of summer before school starts, I wanted to share this easy (and easily-modified!) recipe in case camping is on your calendar in the near future. And, if your backyard or patio is as far as you will be venturing, this dish can be made on a grill just the same.
Yield: 4 Bundles
- 1 package of Becker Farms ground beef patties, thawed
- 1 onion, diced
- 3-4 potatoes, washed and sliced (~1/4 inch)
- 3-4 carrots, washed and diced
- dash of garlic powder or seasoned-salt
- 4 pats of butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Tear off 4 sheets of foil, around 18" in length. In the center of each sheet, place one ground beef patty and season with either garlic powder, seasoned-salt, or both. Next, top with the onion, potatoes, and carrots (divided evenly). Add a pat of butter and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Wrap up the ends of the foil to create a bundle and cook over the fire for around 15-20 minutes, or until desired doneness is reached.
Modifications could include using pork patties or other vegetables (bell peppers, mushrooms, zucchini...oh my!), herbs (any you like!), or fresh garlic (always good!).