For as long as I can remember, I have always loved eating at quaint cafes, coffee shops, and other locally-owned diners. A few years ago, there was a cafe (that has sadly since closed) that served a sweet-tangy salad that I thoroughly enjoyed. While I do not recall everything that they included in the salad, below is how I prepare it at home.
Please note: I do not measure the ingredients, but instead just add enough of everything to look pretty and taste great!
- Salad greens of your choosing (I like to combine spinach and whatever lettuce I have on hand), washed, dried, and stems trimmed
- Fresh strawberries, sliced
- Mandarin oranges, drained
- Toasted almonds, sliced, slivered, or whole
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Vinaigrette of your choosing (I like to use balsamic or a fruit-inspired one)
- Optional: sliced grilled chicken (YUM!)