This recipe comes from my sweet friend, Trista. I modified it to add the lemon juice/zest, cinnamon, and crumb topping, so if you do not have those ingredients on hand, know that it will still taste great! I like to eat these hot out of the oven with a little butter and a cold glass of milk. Enjoy! (July 17, 2015)
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 c. buttermilk (or substitute 1 T. lemon juice with enough milk to make 1 cup.)
- ½ c. oil
- 2 t. vanilla
- 1 ½ c. rhubarb, finely diced
- If desired, add the juice and zest of one small lemon (YUM!)
1. Mix well, then add:
- 2 ½ c. flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- ½ t. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2. Pour into greased or paper-lined muffin tins (or mini-loaf pan).
- If desired, top with a oatmeal-crumb topping (made with: 1/2 c flour, 1/2 c brown sugar, 1/3 c oatmeal, and 1/4 c softened butter; combine with your hands or a fork until crumbly).
3. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until no indentation remains when you lightly touch tops with finger.