With the 4th of July upon us, I was trying to think of a patriotic-themed recipe to include in this week’s newsletter. The classic wedge salad came to mind–with its red tomatoes, white dressing (more on that, below), and blue cheese crumbles atop a hunk of crisp iceberg lettuce and sprinkled with crispy bacon. Yes, please! The great thing about this (and all salads) is that you can add in any number of favorite toppings such as sliced avocado, sunflower seeds, toasted almonds, croutons (always, in my opinion!) and beyond.
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce
- whole or sliced grape tomatoes
- 6 slices of bacon (our bacon ends also work well for this)
- 1/2 c of blue cheese crumbles
- dressing of your choice (such as ranch, blue cheese, or the one listed below)
- Using a knife or kitchen shears, cut ~6 slices of bacon into 1″ pieces; pan-fry over medium heat for ~5-7 minutes. Once done, transfer to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Wash, dry, and cut the iceberg lettuce head into 4 wedges
- Top the wedge with the tomatoes, blue cheese crumbles, bacon pieces and dressing of your choice. Easy-peasy! Add any other toppings and enjoy!
Other Dressing Idea (from Bon Appetit):
Whisk 1/2 finely chopped small shallot, 3/4 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives, and 1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar in a small bowl; fold in 1/2 cup crumbled mild blue cheese. Adjust consistency with sour cream or buttermilk, if needed. Season dressing generously with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and more vinegar, if needed.