During grad school, I worked at a coffee shop and one of the many highlights of this job, was the yummy drinks and pastries that we could enjoy during our shift. One of my favorites this time of year was pumpkin bread so I was delighted to come across a recipe many years ago for this treat. Pairs well with a cold glass of milk or a hot mug of coffee…enjoy! (September 10, 2015)
- 1 1/3 c sugar
- 1/2 c butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 c pumpkin (or pureed butternut squash, which is what I use)
- 1 2/3 c flour
- 1/3 c water
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 c chopped nuts (optional; I typically leave the nuts out)
- Cream together sugar, butter, and eggs. Add pumpkin and water and mix well.
- Sift together the dry ingredients then combine with the above mixture. Stir in nuts (if using).
- Spray two bread pans (9″x5″) and add the batter. Bake at 350F for ~45 minutes, or until the center is set when checked with a toothpick.