Recipe from Maple Leaf Farms
- 4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 2 Shallots, finely diced, divided
- 4 Tbsp Crushed Garlic, divided
- 1 lb Ground Duck Meat, thawed
- 1 cup Garlic Breadcrumbs
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Teriyaki Sauce
- Dash Hot Sauce
- 1 cup Orange Marmalade
- 3 oz Orange Liqueur
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Vegetable Non-Stick Spray
- 1 head Leaf Lettuce, separated
- Rice Wine Vinegar, as needed
- 1 Naval Orange, sliced
1. For the Meatballs: Heat a pan on medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Then add one finely diced shallot and 2 tablespoons crushed garlic. Cook until onions are soft then set aside.
2. Place duck meat and shallot mixture in a large bowl. Add one cup of garlic breadcrumbs, 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce and dash of hot sauce and mix well. Place mixture in freezer for 15 minutes to cool.
3. For the Orange Sauce: Heat pan to medium heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add 1 finely diced shallot and 2 tablespoons crushed garlic. Cook until onions are soft.
4. Add 1 cup of orange marmalade and 3 ounces orange liqueur. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until reduced by half. Remove from heat and set aside. Add red pepper flakes.
5. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a muffin pan with vegetable spray. Form meatballs by using a 1-1/2 ounce ice cream scoop and place rounded balls in muffin tins.
7. Ladle 1 teaspoon of orange sauce over each ball. Bake for 10 minutes or until 160 degrees F internal temperature. Remove from oven.
8. Place leaf lettuce on small tapas-style plates. Sprinkle with rice wine vinegar. Plate 3 meatballs on each plate.
9. Drizzle remaining marmalade sauce on each plate. Garnish with orange slice. Serve immediately.