Source: Dream with God
- 2 pounds of Becker Farms ground beef
- 2 15 oz. cans of Rotel tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can of Ranch Style Beans (or beans of choice…I like black beans)
- 1 bag of frozen corn, thawed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 cups corn meal
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Brown the ground beef in a large skillet. Add the diced onions and jalapeno half-way through the cooking process.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients for the cornbread (corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt). In a small bowl, mix together the milk, egg, and butter. Add to dry ingredients and stir until combined.
4. Add the 2 cans of Rotel tomatoes and beans to the ground beef and stir together.
5. In a 9 x 13 pan, add the ground beef mixture followed by the corn on top (the corn could be added into the cornbread if you would prefer it that way). Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups of cheese on top of the meat and corn mixture. Pour the cornbread over top of the cheese and then sprinkle the remainder of the cheese to finish it off.
6. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cornbread comes out clean.
7. Great served with sour cream!
(Note: You can swap out salsa or diced tomatoes for the 2 cans of Rotel; for a budget-friendly meal, substitute another can of beans for a pound of ground beef)