One of my favorite things to have at my children’s birthday parties is a brownie and ice cream bar–featuring vanilla and chocolate ice cream, these brownies, and a variety of sauces (hot fudge, caramel) and toppings (nuts, crushed Oreo cookies and candy bars). It is a fun way for everyone to make their favorite sundae and takes me back to my first ‘real job’ days of working at the local Dairy Queen in my hometown. This recipe hails from a friend of a friend and boy am I glad that she shared it with me!
- 1 2/3 c sugar
- 3/4 c butter, melted
- 2 TBSP water
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/3 c flour
- 3/4 c cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- optional: 1/2 to 3/4 c of your favorite mix-ins, such as chocolate chips or nuts or swirl in some pecans and caramel sauce for turtle brownies!
- Cream together the sugar and butter. Note: I use my Kitchen Aid mixer for the entire recipe but you can also prepare this without a mixer.
- Add the water, eggs, and vanilla; mix.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix.
- If adding any mix-ins, do so at this point. (If adding caramel sauce, do this once you have poured the batter into the baking pan; swirl in with a toothpick).
- Spray a 9″x13″ baking dish with cooking spray, pour the batter in and bake at 350F for ~23-25 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center to check for doneness. Enjoy!