I was given this recipe several years ago and not only found it to be quite tasty but something that was a little different than my main go-to meals, making it fun to make from time to time. While the original recipe called for a can of crescent rolls, I like to make my own, so feel free to choose whichever option works best for you.
Golden Crescent Roll ingredients:
1 pkg active dry yeast
1/3 c water
1/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c butter, softened
2 c all purpose flour
Golden Crescent Roll directions:
- Dissolve yeast in warm water (~100F). Stir in sugar, salt, eggs, butter, and 1 c. of flour. Beat until smooth. Mix in remaining flour until smooth.
- Scrape dough into center of bowl. Cover; let rise for 1 1/2 hours in a warm place.
- Roll dough into a 12 inch circle and divide into four sections.
Chicken Crescent Filling Ingredients:
3 oz of cream cheese, softened
2 TBSP butter, softened
2 c cooked, shredded chicken
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped (if desired)
2 TBSP milk
1 TSBP chopped onion
1/3 c panko bread crumbs mixed with 1 TBSP melted butter
- Pre-heat oven to 375F. Beat together cream cheese and butter. Mix in chicken, salt, pepper, rosemary, milk, and onion.
- Put a 1/4 of the chicken mixture on each crescent dough section. If using the canned crescent rolls, separate the dough into 4 rectangles (by keeping two triangular pieces together). Fold the corners together and press all openings closed. See image below.
- Top with the melted butter-panko crumb mixture. Bake on an ungreased pan for 20 minutes.