- cube steaks (which come with four approximately quarter-pound pieces per package)
- small can cream of mushroom soup (or a homemade white sauce substitute--recipe below)
- one envelope of dried onion soup mix
- 1 cup of water (if using the canned soup)
- In a crock pot, combine the cream of mushroom soup (or white sauce), water, and onion soup mix. Turn on 'high' and allow to heat for ~30 minutes.
- Add the cube steaks (frozen or thawed). Continue cooking on 'high' until the cube steaks are tender (approximately 4-6 hours, depending on whether they were frozen or thawed to begin with). Stir occasionally and add a little water if needed.
- The gravy that is created goes well with mashed potatoes, or on top of the cube steaks.
White Sauce with Mushrooms (yield: ~3 cups)
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a saucepan over low-medium heat.
- Add 1/4 cup of flour, whisking until smooth and bubbly (~1-2 minutes)
- Gradually add in 3 cups of milk, whisking frequently until hot and thickened.
- Add in finely diced mushroom.